I love reading and it seems that I passed that gene fully onto one of my boys and partly onto the other (when I can find the right books for him!). I definitely inherited the reading gene as well. My mom read for fun a lot, one of my aunt’s world for a publishing company, another aunt was a librarian, and my great aunt owned a bookbinding business!
It is such a great habit and I think one of my favorite memories is reading to my boys at night before bedtime. This summer my youngest (11 years old) and I even started reading The Old Man and the Sea out loud together. I can’t remember the last time we read out loud together!
Here are a few books that both of my boys have enjoyed at around the ages of 10-13.
Auggie and Me by R.J. Palacio (part of the wonder series)
Harry Potter series or anything by JK Rowling
the Dangerous Book for Boys (ok maybe I like this more than the boys!)
Diary of a Wimpy Kid series by Jeff Kinney
El Deafo by Cece Bell
the Hatchet by Gary Paulsen (for older kids)
Hunger Games series by Suzanne Collins (for my older one)
I Survived series (for younger kids)
Survivors series by Erin Hunter
Warriors series by Erin Hunter
Wings of Fire series by Tui T. Sutherland
Wonder by R.J. Palacio
A few reasons I love reading and love seeing my kids read:
- You can practically read anywhere and almost anytime.
- It’s a great bonding experience to read aloud with your kids, even when they are not so little!
- Reading takes you away to the most amazing places.
- It teaches you about the most amazing things, people and places.
- Reading stimulates your imagination!
- You can use reading as a great stress reducer.
See photo for a few bonus books that I did not mention here. I’d love to hear your ideas, as my kids have read all of these!