I have very little control over anything in 2020. Like, almost zero. I have no time for myself. Few rituals or routines in my current life have endured COVID and are still with me today. But one thing remains – my skincare routine. Spending a few minutes in the morning or evening to take care of myself (really, physically) is good for my spirit. For me, skincare is not about vanity, it’s about paying attention to myself. 10 minutes spent washing my face or applying a serum can instantly lift my mood. I love trying new products and looking for deals on my favorites. Here’s are my current favorites that I’ve collected over time:
- Cleanser – I’m loving La Roche-Posay – it’s very gentle and the bottle is giant
- Optional exfoliator – I will only do this if I shower in the AM. Obsessed with this one from Clinique – Pep Start
- Toner – I will use whatever I have on hand, Dr Thayers or something I’ve gotten from a FabFitFun box.
- Optional serum – I will use what I have on hand, I really like this First Aid Beauty one. I use it am and pm
- Moisturizer – Depending on your skin type you can go super light or heavy with this. I tend to be light during the day and go heavy at night.
- Sunscreen – EltaMd is fantastic. If you do nothing else in the am other than wash your face, put on sunscreen
- Lip Balm – The Dr. Hauschka Lip Care Stick is a splurge but I love it and it makes me happy
- Oil Cleanser – Beautycounter is my favorite for this, I need to order a new bottle soon.
- Cream Cleanser – I use the same one from the AM, but I’d like to try this one next. I’ve heard it’s great.
- Toner – Same as AM
- Active Toner/Exfoliant – Paula’s Choice is the BEST. Pixi Glow Tonic is also excellent.
- Serums – Depending on where my skin is at, dry/dull/good I will play around with how I layer these. The “rule” for skincare is to apply from light to thick. I will use that same FAB one from AM, and something Vitamin C. I just got TruSkin Vitamin C Serum because as much as I loved my sample of Sunday Riley CEO I couldn’t do the price. I also love the overnight resurfacing peel from Beautycounter.
- Oils – I will add an oil in place of moisturizer. If AM is all about protecting your skin for the day, PM is all about giving it hydration and lots of good stuff to soak up at night. I’ve used a few different types, my current one is from a FabFitFun box.
- Eye Cream – I’m picky about this, I get milia (tiny white bumps) if something is too rich around my eyes. I like this one from first aid beauty
- Lip mask – LANEIGE Lip Sleeping Mask always and forever
I will also do a face mask in the PM (after cleansing and toner) or after my routine (and my face is nice and oiled) I will do my jade roller or gu sha massage while I lay in bed. What do you do regularly that makes you happy?