It’s fall and we found ourselves stuck inside most of the week because of a house full of colds. Play-dough to the rescue.
Now, to entertain a 2-year-old inside for days on end. As we got tired of the endless moving stuffed animals upstairs and then downstairs, coloring with markers, crayons, paint pens I decided it was time to break out something really SPECIAL. It’s our new hype word around here and we are really into special books, special shoes (a.k.a. weather appropriate), special muffins that have pea protein in them little does she know.
So back to my special something, I decided it was time to make some play-dough. I’ve got a recipe that my mom used when I was a kid that I’ve tweaked a little and would love to share. Play-dough is always a big hit and the fact the Hazel got to help me make it was even better. She is very into helping in the kitchen so it was a fun way to spend a few hours (the making of the dough takes about 5 minutes max). I use cinnamon in my recipe because it is antimicrobial properties and honestly I just love the smell. I also like that it gives a little color to the dough because the plain white mush is just a no-go for me aesthetically. I chose to add the “germ destroyer” an essential oil into the dough this time around but you can go without as well. After it cooled I grabbed the rolling pin, a few random Christmas cookie cutters, and a butter knife and we played for about an hour before nap and again several more times this week. It’s fun to see Hazel get excited about something so simple and was honestly enjoyable for all of us to sit a listen to music while creating a whole little town of snake babies. So without further adieu…
Homemade Play Dough
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 2 tsp of cream or tartar
- ½ cup salt
- 1 cup water
- 1 ½ tbsp of vegetable oil
- 1 ½ tbsp of cinnamon (I love to add cinnamon because its antimicrobial and for a little color – you can also use food coloring if you want.)
- 6-8 drops of essential oil of your choice
1. Combine dry ingredients in a saucepan.
2. Add in water and oil until smooth.
3. Heat on medium-low and stir until mixture turns into a ball.
4. The mixture will reach a play-dough consistency and you will want to remove it from the heat and let it cool for 5 minutes.
5. Knead in the essential oil of your choice. I use kid-safe by plant therapy (Not an ad! Also not an MLM). The germ destroyer is my fav but I also made one with Happy Place.
6. Store the play-dough in an airtight container in the fridge and it’ll last for months! Enjoy!